We have a lot of fun with edibles and THC infused food here at Pot In Illinois. Whether we make it ourselves, or buy it, we enjoy the new concoctions and discovering cool new combos. You can now find so many different types edibles, from weed ethnic cuisine to THC mints. And then there’s beverages, too. The world of cannabis drinks is one unto itself. If you like drinkables, then this post is for you. Here’s how to make your own weed infused wine.
Weed infused wine? Is that safe, or even good?
As we’ve said many times before, ingesting THC in any form is all about practicing moderation. Regardless of what you’re doing or where you’re doing it, you always want to go low and slow. Especially if you’re new to cannabis, or at least new to a different method of ingesting. Take it easy. And take a look at our best practices for consuming edibles, if you need a refresher… And we’ll let you decide as to how good it is. But we think it’s pretty awesome.
All right, convinced. So how does infusing wine with weed work?
Assuming you already have a favorite wine to which you want to add THC, this method is for you. So let’s now get into the first method of making your very own batch of weed wine. Here’s what you’ll need:
28 grams of your favorite weed trim and stems
Bottle of your favorite red wine
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. cardamom
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
Saucepan or large crockpot
- Pour your favorite bottle of red wine into the saucepan or crockpot, and put it on the stovetop.
- Mix in all of the spices, fruit, and weed, then bring the mixture to a boil. Keep the mixture at a very low boil, barely rolling, for two hours. Keep an eye on the batch, to make sure you don’t let too much liquid evaporate.
- Once the time is up, use the cheesecloth to strain your batch. Once you have your liquid strained, get rid of everything else.
- The wine is now ready! Enjoy in a safe, comfortable space. You’ll know that you’ve made the batch correctly, if you taste enhanced flavors from not only the wine, but the cannabis as well.
Sounds awesome. But what if I want to brew my own weed wine from scratch?
You can definitely brew your own cannabis wine from scratch. The process will take much lot longer, and you’ll have many more steps. But you can definitely do it. Here’s what you do:
Ingredients you’ll need
120 grams of cannabis trim, or more
1 gallon of water
3 lbs of white sugar
Airtight bottles with corks, for sealing
½ x 1½ gallon brewing demijohn bottles
3½ to 4 foot long siphoning tube
Lightweight cotton cloth
What to do
- Grind up your weed, and put it into one of the demijohns.
- Juice the oranges and lemon, then mix them in with the ground-up weed.
- Pour the water into the pot and bring to a boil. Pour the sugar into the boiling water and dissolve. When the sugar is fully dissolved, take the water off the heat.
- Mix sugar water with the fruit juice and cannabis in the demijohn.
- Dissolve the yeast into warm water, around 68-70°F.
- Let the mixture in the demijohn cool to room temperature before adding in the yeast. When you’ve done that, top off the bottle with water.
- Store the bottle in a dark, warm area of your house, such as a closet.
- One thing you’re going to have to watch out for, to keep a close eye on, is the fermentation process of the yeast. You have to keep your batch at a temperature neither too high to kill it, nor too low to slow the process of the fermenting. This is especially important during the winter and summer months when we experience volatile temperatures.
- So what will happen next, is as your yeast ferments, the mixture will slowly turn into an alcoholic beverage. You’ll be able to see this through the fizzing that develops. You’ll usually see this after about a day or so. When this happens, seal the demijohn bottle with the airlock. You want to keep oxygen from entering the mix. At the same time, you need to allow the CO₂ to escape, so don’t miss this very important step.
- Now at this point, you’ll need to allow the fermentation at least two weeks, and no longer than four weeks. Monitor the mix regularly throughout this time. You’ll need to be able to make sure that the process is done, when there is no more bubbling.
- Assuming you’ve gotten to that point, you’ll be ready to take out the airlock. When you do so, push down all the trimmings that surface, back into the mixture. Use your hydrometer to measure the potential alcohol content.
Time for bottling
- Now it’s time for you to put your stash into bottles! The first thing you’ll do is siphon the wine mixture through the cloth from the filled demijohn, into the other, clean one. Once you’ve done that, seal this second bottle with an airlock.
- Store this new demijohn in the dark space for one month – yep, four weeks – undisturbed.
- Now you bottle. Take the demijohn from the storage space, but make sure not to shake it and disturb the sediment. If this happens anyway, just sit tight and wait until the sediment has settled back down at the bottom.
- Next, you’ll place the cloth on top of your wine bottles, as the wine is siphoned into them, using your tube. After you fill all of the bottles, seal them tight with a cork, or simply cap them immediately. You’re best off if you use airtight seals, so always opt for them if you can.
- Finally, your weed infused wine is ready to drink!
If you like your wine a little more aged and complex, you can put it back inside your dark storage space for another six months. It all depends on your personal preferences at this point. Otherwise, just remember to go easy! A little canna wine goes a long way at first. See how it hits you and your body chemistry before you consume too much at once. Enjoy!