Hey, Illinois friends, are you considering growing your own medical use cannabis, at this point? Assuming you have an Illinois medical card? A lot of people are. Before the quarantine, we already had a pot shortage here in Illinois. The current COVID-19 crisis has added to that. Now that dispensaries have shorter hours, all the more reason to consider growing your own, at least as a backup. So, growing your own Illinois cannabis for medical use? Here’s 7 great resources:
Before we get to that, we just want to remind you of the state laws that took effect in January. If you want to grow your own medical use weed, make sure you do it correctly. Please remember the following:
Homegrowing Medical Cannabis in Illinois
- You need to be over 21, and have an Illinois Medical Cannabis Card. No exceptions. If you don’t have the card, you can’t homegrow, according to Illinois law.
- Up to 5 plants, no more than 5 feet tall. That’s what you’re allowed to grow and have in your home. The plants also need to be in an enclosed, locked space.
- The pot you grow is for you and you only. You can’t sell it or give any of it away.
- You can grow from clones or from seeds. There’s still a lot of gray area here with the law in terms of seeds. The Illinois Medical Cannabis Review has recommendations to check out.
So assuming all of that applies to you, there’s some other things to keep in mind before you get started home growing medical cannabis in Illinois:
- The average indoor growing operation can cost hundreds of dollars, and requires five to 10 hours of work per week. Make sure you have the time and money to devote to this, before you get started.
- Growing the plants to maturity can take anywhere from three to six months.
- Assuming you’re using seeds, each of your seeds will go through four distinct stages, from germination to seedling, vegetative and flowering.
- After that, you have the drying and curing stage, which can take another month or so.
Still with us? If so, here’s some great sites to help get you started, with all of the detail and procedures you need.
7 great resources to home grow your own medical marijuana
All of the below resources are geared towards helping you get started in your homegrown endeavors. Not only that, but they are geared towards indoor growing, which is what we need here in Illinois. Also given the Midwest climate, which can be harsh much of the year, indoor growing is the way to go.
- Fremont College
- Grow Marijuana
- Grow Weed Easy
- How To Grow Marijuana
- I Love Growing Marijuana
- Weeds That Please
So as you can see, home growing isn’t for the faint of heart. You need to be willing to commit money, time, and patience to growing cannabis correctly. Also expect to have some trial and error, as you learn what you’re doing. Cannabis is a high maintenance plant, to say the least, and needs tons of attention at every stage in the growing process.
However, if you can make it through all of that, it can be very rewarding. If you know what you’re doing and you grow your plants well, one plant can produce a pound of pot — yep, you read that right. That’s way more than the one ounce of flower that recreational buyers can legally have in Illinois. That’s also more than the 2.5-ounces that you can purchase every two weeks as a medical patient… So give it a go, it might be well worth the investment!